The fix is to turn up DRE relatively to the sim volume. This means turning down the sim and then turning up the overall volume.
- Start DRE
- Start a sim session, then alt+tab to the desktop.
- From here go to the system tray in the bottom right corner of the screen and find the speaker icon.
- Right-click the speaker icon, and then select the “Open Volume Mixer”.
- Slide down the volume of the sim (to eg. 25 – 40%)
- Make sure DRE volume is at 100%
- Turn up the overall gain/volume of your speakers. Do this either on the hardware turn knobs itself or left-clicking the Speaker icon in the system tray.